Thursday, 1 November 2018

Mega have suspended my account, and every link seems to have been wiped.

Yep, even the Zippy links.  Don't know where to go from here, or if I've got the time to spare to re-up Zippy links.


Update:  Now that the shock has sunk in, time to move forward...  Thanks all for your comments.  I reckon Google Drive is the way to go - currently rattling around with memory sticks, with fingers crossed that there aren't any stray months I didn't back up [Update 2: that's this year to date back up, and 2017 except Aug-Nov].

Will get everything back up in due course.  Hey ho, that's life.  Thanks again everyone for your support.

AB.

31 comments:

  1. So sad :(

    Good luck, man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah c'mon!!! For what reason? It's not like you're posting the latest big sellers or anything. How could they have wiped the Zippy links too? Mega seemed to be the most secure service around. I hope this isn't the start of a big nasty. Will stay tuned. Hope things can be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd suggest using your Google storage (10GB free).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill's right, Google storage.... I got sick of Zippyshare with all their pop-ups that often come with malware etc., if you can find it somewhere on the net Mediafire will delete anything straight away, got so frustrated, I ended up paying for my Google storage, 1 Gig, enough for a couple of years sharing, even with the amount that I'm posting (an average of 4 to 5 albums a day).... I know how you're felling, back when Megaupload went down I lost more than 2000 uploads.....

    Don't know if you know what happened to Gab this week, got a feeling we music bloggers are in for some nasty surprises soon :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Google Drive as well which gives you 15GB for free. By using 7 gmail accounts I have 105GB for FREE which hosts everything you see on notveryprettymusic.blogspot.com. I know it's painful to re-upload all your stuff having done it myself after Rapidshare cut my throat. You have my sympathy.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all the gems especially the nurse with wound stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's devastating. I've been using Archive.org for my uploads at Eclanage and it seems to be going fine. I have nearly 1000 albums there. Have you thought about that option? Anyway, thanks tons for the amazing shares. Best, M3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan, I'm no expert but if the Zippys have gone too, maybe both them and Mega have been threatened by the dastardly powers that be? Regardless, good luck with sorting this out. Your blog is one of the best imho. Terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the gems you share with us.
    I wish the best to resolve the problem. Warm greetings from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer to hear, a lot of places have been getting heat lately. Maybe WeTransfer? They only get seven days, but you know: grab it while it's hot, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been an amazing site that I have followed daily for the past year or so. I have made so many wonderful discoveries thanks to you. I hope you are able to get past this crisis, but if not, thank you for everything that you shared! I wish you the best and hope you are able to continue sharing all of these treasures. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cruel.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fuck them! Your not sharing anything mainstream whatsoever and esoteric music needs whatever exposure available to keep the proverbial flame of artistic merit alive. Damn these petty people for pulling the rug under your feet. Hey Alan we all REALLY appreciate your effort and my suggestion is only re-up when you have requests as there is no way you have the time or inclination to re-up all the great music you have been sharing. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! That sucks to hear man. Fuckers of Mega... The entire blogosphere almost crashed years ago when Megaupload vanished. It seems they mega-suck. Good luck with eveyrthing! I'm sure you're back up running soon! You are very much appreciated!

    Bence

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing that you got up and running so quickly. You're a star.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kudos Alan! Good to see slow goes won’t be turning into no goes anytime soon. It wasn’t that Brand X post was it? If not, I’d like to grab a copy if you can report it. If that was the issue, never mind. Either way, I’m glad not to loose SGtG. Thanks again for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was, unfortunately! Perhaps Phil Collins or Richard Branson get a red flashing light on their desk, then they release the virtual hounds...

      Delete
  16. Understood. The names you dropped say it all. Perhaps they have a box set in the works. The polite thing wound have been to request it be taken down, not that I should expect politeness from that source. I’m certain I can find it elsewhere. In any case, Thank you for the offer and for all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a MAJOR bummer my man, so sorry,keep the faith -while it's feasible, tho, fenomenal stuff that of yours. . .
    OPACITY, ¡No pasarán!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let me start off by saying I am not in disagreement with most of the positions mentioned above. However...

    My follow-up question for the panel (and this is to any and everyone, not just the host here) would be - why don't you send an e-mail to the artist (or website, or other representative of the artist in question) every time you post something, and inform them that you have posted their work for free online? And if the answer is, "No, I wouldn't want to do that" - why? And how them would that square with the opinions expressed above?

    Once again - I'm not taking sides, and if I lean in one direction more than the other, it's probably with the general one being expressed above. But there is a genuine problem to be dealt with here, from both sides. And it needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's effectively the "home taping is killing music" debate that keeps getting re-framed for each generation, isn't it? And it's one that I've always found interesting, as a music lover who used to spend all my waking hours copying cassettes for friends, then it was CDRs (and MiniDiscs for some of us), then Napster/Limewire et al, then the blogosphere.

      At heart, I guess I'm just the same 16 year old who used to share cassettes with friends and receive other ones in return, except mp3s are far more convenient, and a blog can be picked up anywhere in the world (I adore seeing how far & wide my blog traffic and comments are). It boils down to the same thing as the cassettes: you're giving (or receiving) an approximation of an album; you don't have the full artwork, liner notes or full sound quality (this is the main reason I've decided against posing lossless files, unless someone desperately wanted a WAV share of something long out of print). Then if you really like the album, you can buy it for yourself, or buy the artist's other albums, invest in them in other ways if they're a current touring band, or buy other similar music. I'd conservatively estimate that at least 50% of the music I've purchased has come from someone sharing it with me beforehand, which is why I don't buy the whole thing about depriving artists of sales.

      Of course, this is the viewpoint of someone pushing 40; for many of today's 18 year olds it may be a completely moot point. Pay for music, an in a physical format? Aye grandad! Who does that when you can stream all the music in the world? (bit of an assumption/generalisation, I'll concede, as I, er, don't know any 18 year olds).

      And if I was an artist today, making a living from my music? I suppose there'd be one of two ways to look at it. Either get pissed off that people can grab my album in 30 seconds from The Pirate Bay (Lars Ulrich is probably the extreme end of this view), or just accept that this is how the modern world is. The real money's in touring and merchandising, and if people want to buy a physical album (or pay for a digital album), they will, just as they always have. And I'd endeavour to make the experience special for people investing in my music, with limited edition vinyl, exclusive tracks on Bandcamp, and what have you.

      Just my two cents worth! Thanks for raising the issue, it's always important (and interesting). Now, back to reuploading my old files, and planning next week's posts....

      cheers
      AB

      Delete
    2. Alan in all due respect as I am in my 40s AND a musician I dont care if people spread the word about my music. The industry as such is corrupt well maybe a small label here and there actually pays their artists their fair share but from personal experience even the small unknown labels try to screw the pooch.
      Exposure of one's art esp. when there is virtually no budget for promotion(like many musicians these days) and when the said art is more esoteric than easily digested popular music blogs are key to keeping the music "alive". The only real money is in licensing i.e. movie, commercials etc(good luck on that too!) and touring otherwise sales unless you a hipster with a large following is non existent to survive on. You are actually doing many of the artists a favor by proliferating this soma for the ears for a very small minority of people on the web. I mean I can walk out the door and mention 95% of the music here to strangers no one would have a clue as to who they are. So keep that torch burning!

      Delete
  19. Aww man that blows. Sorry that happened dude. Like you said though, That's life. MEGA was the best too. Regardless, Thanks for all the great tunes these last few months. Really appreciate the efforts and your taste in the sonic arts. Best luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .
    bioresonantie haarlem

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some good points AB, but I would like to point out a few issues (and again, the use of "you" is not being aimed at yourself specifically here) :

    "It boils down to the same thing as the cassettes: you're giving (or receiving) an approximation of an album"

    Iffy argument here, as you weren't spreading your cassettes in such a way that they were, quite literally, available in seconds to anyone (or most anyone) on the entire planet.

    "you don't have the full artwork, liner notes or full sound quality"

    First two don't really pass the test at this point in time either, as the majority of that is also available online. And, as far the sound quality, for me personally, if you're sitting there A/B'ing 320 MP3s and WAV, or FLAC, or whatever - music itself is not your main concern, and you've taken a wrong turn somewhere. But again, that's just me.

    And as you said, there are other issues - like, how is downloading so bad when you can stream practically everything anyway? (Personally, I stream nothing.) The greater money is indeed in touring and merch now (and with that, the absolute absurdity of the "360 deal" has to be one of the most blatantly pathetic stunts in the history of the music business - which is saying something.)

    And in closing, I have slightly more than a decade on you, and tied to my above comment on the sound quality issue, I long ago stopped giving or caring a whit about some sort of "experience". I want music. No bells or whistles necessary.

    Over and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting again, VR. Good to have an intelligent, respectful exchange of views on an issue like this - god knows it's difficult to do so in many other online spaces, or indeed in offline life!

      The points that you pick up on from my original comment are interesting, as they show me just how much value I place on ownership of the physical object of a CD or a record; to me that's still the only true "ownership" of recorded music, and I guess is very much an age thing tied to Boomers/Gen X/early Millenials. Anyone younger might well regard it as a nonsensical stance, as indeed might parts of older generations who were perfectly happy with a transistor radio in the park, and if they owned a handful of records still didn't place a huge value on the ownership of the object, in the way I do.

      So I suppose even though there's little audible difference between a WAV file and an mp3, unless you have total audiophile bat-ears (and my hearing's middling to poor), I still regard the latter format as 'lesser', and therefore guiltlessly transferrable, as I'm holding it in the same regard as I would a cassette copy twenty years ago.

      Good point that I wasn't sharing cassettes instantly worldwide - I think at most I must've made a dozen mixtapes for penpals overseas! ;)

      Thanks again
      AB

      Delete
    2. Just to clarify - since it looks like you were going both directions with it - by a decade and half "on you" I did mean I'm older than you. So maybe I am or am not the outlier in that equation as you laid it out. (Frankly, the role of "outlier" is the story of my life, really, so - either way...)

      And as far as physical objects - well, I have a 256GB flash drive here which seems pretty "physical" to me. Which means I can now carry around 4000-4500 albums with me - in my shirt pocket. And that's a leap in technology I am most happy about.

      Delete
  22. any reason given for the account suspension?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple copyright notices. Always a risk with a music blog like this, I suppose. Fingers crossed that Google pretty much just let their uploaders get on with it.

      It's the sort of thing that does give pause for thought about sharing so much music, but my overall stance is outlined in the long comments immediately above in the thread. As I've said since the beginning up in the introductory column, I'm always happy to immediately remove links should an artist/representative request it.

      Delete