Monday, 1 November 2021

Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell (1986)

More computer music from Zappa at his Synclavier, with the exception of one Shut Up 'N Play Year Guitar-style live snippet from a 1982 concert in Saint-Étienne, presumably included for a bit of textural variety.  
 
On all of the Synclavier performances, Zappa's increasing adeptness with the system - sampling odd sounds, pairing samples of different instruments together - comes through in the increasing sophistication of these tracks.  Some of them may sound like dated video-game music by today's standards, but they're all remarkable creations for the mid 80s, and remain enjoyable.  The opening Night School, the most straightforwardly melodic piece, is probably my favourite thing here, but the tricksier ones like While You Were Art II, the title track and the polyrhythmic tumble of G-Spot Tornado are lots of fun too.

pw: sgtg

4 comments:

  1. Nothin' like the polyrhythmic tumble of a tornado in one's G-spot. Or so I've been told...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I've ever heard this I listened to it at 45rpm..don't ask..days of vinyl. Thought it sounded fantastic, if relatively short. Imagine my surprise when I realised what I'd done, never did listen to side two...oh those hazy lazy days. Never wanted to hear it in it's proper form since!!...would spoil a fantastic memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is phenomenal. thanks Alan

    ReplyDelete