A winter favourite of mine, and an underrated Vangelis album. Antarctica was the soundtrack to Koreyoshi Kurahara's film Nankyoku Monogatari (South Pole Story) about the ill-fated Japanese exploration of 1958. I haven't seen the movie, but the music here aptly conjures up great expanses of ice and natural beauty, as well as the treacherous weather conditions and moments of high drama.
The grand, stately theme sets the stage with its simple melody and gradually developing percussion. The main melody will repeat quite a few times across the album, which would feel a bit like short-changing listeners on a regular studio record, but is perfectly fine on a film soundtrack. Vangelis always keeps things interesting. The second track, Anarctic Echoes, is a particular highlight, with the melody slowed right down amid a dreamlike atmosphere; Life Of Antarctica is another that develops really well. The more upbeat moments of high drama work well too, like the jittery synths of Kinematic, and the darker atmospheres of Other Side Of Antarctica. Wrap up warm and enjoy.
link
pw: sgtg
Previously posted at SGTG:
L'apocalypse Des Animaux
Soil Festivities
Invisible Connections

I'll check this out this week as I've never heard it. Another good 'winter' CD is the soundtrack to the 2018/19 film Arctic, with an amazing score by Joe Trapanese. Vast expanses of snow and ice... and for that matter, how about the Residents' Eskimo!
ReplyDeleteTony
This one always disappoints me a little whenever I go back to it. I do like it, but every time I listen to it, I'm thinking I'm going to get into it more than I ever do.
ReplyDeleteThen again, I've also recently been listening a lot to Beaubourg and Invisible Connections again and growing more fervent than ever with the opinion that they are absolute masterpieces. So I could be am unreliable barometer for a lot folks...
In case you don't know about it...Madrotter is putting up a treasure trove of music that seems right up your alley.
ReplyDelete"I've been wanting to do this for quiet a while and now seems like a good moment....
Re-recording and re-posting my Composers' Voice Donemus Amsterdam collection.... Mostly experimental and contemporary classical music....
Donemus (compounded from Documentatiecentrum nederlandse muziek) is the Dutch institute dealing with the documentation of contemporary music composed in the Netherlands.
Originally a publisher of scores, between 1960-2000 Donemus also published a series of recordings titled Composers' Voice (CV); initially on LP, and later on CD. The originally large archive of hand-written scores was sent back to the composers in the early 21st century; today the archive is maintained mainly digitally.
Their vinyl records were only made for members and most of them are extremely rare, I was lucky enough, when the Dutch library in Bandung lost their funding and had to close, to get my hands on the records they had... I've been looking to buy more every time I've been to Holland but I just couldn't find them.... Their output was massive:
https://www.discogs.com/label/31299-Composers-Voice "
First post here and then a whole slew of great stuff follows.
https://madrotter-treasure-hunt.blogspot.com/2020/01/jan-boerman-composition-1972.html
Looks like a fantastic collection, thanks for the link!
DeleteMany thanks
ReplyDelete