Friday, 15 February 2019

Terje Rypdal - Waves (1978)

Quintessential late-70s ECM from the label's legendary ice & fire Norwegian guitarist, Waves could almost be co-credited to Danish trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg, who made his first appearance alongside Rypdal here.  On opener Per Ulv, which would become one of Rypdal's most famous tunes, a Heart Of Glass-style rhythm machine introduces the guitarist's long, fluid meanderings before the track snaps back to a funky chorus led by Mikkelborg.  This pattern continues, making a memorable track of contrasts.  Karusell, the slower piece that follows, puts Mikkelborg in the spotlight, and he's even the writer of the strangely ominous circus-like Stenskoven that closes the album's first half.

On the title track, Rypdal re-establishes that this is still very much his record, painting eerie shapes on top of the bed of synths and fuzz bass from the great Sveinung Hovensjø, before Rypdal and Mikkelborg's lines start to weave around each other.  The Dain Curse moves the energy up several notches for the toughest funk on the album, before the synths come back for closing track Charisma.  It's not a full-on mellow out to end this great record, as Rypdal has plenty of soaring, razor-sharp lines still to put out there.  Highly recommended from start to finish.

link
pw: sgtg

8 comments:

  1. Just got this recently. Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the current Rypdal release back when I was working in a record store. I don't know if we sold (m)any, but I sure played the hell out of it. I'd been a fan of Terje's since his first ECM, an even more serious one after hearing Whenever I Feel Far Away. Such a distinctive player. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good... If you want more of the Mikkelborg-Rypdal magic I reccomend you the album they made as Entrance in 1977. Even some of the songs are versions of others in Waves.
    Cheers from Argentina. ¿Do you by chance have the second Entrance album (Journey to) with Mikkelborg? I´ll be very happy to find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't heard of Entrance - thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. I accidentally downloaded it from the prestigious Ezhevika fields blog, otherwisw looks hard to find. glad to be of help to someone doing so much as you.Cheers.

      Delete
  4. As a bonus there´s a whole live norwegian tv presentation where they play this record , real good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K975XSJa3Jk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious, never heard this one til now. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. living for these albums! Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete