For their sequel to the eternally gorgeous Plateaux Of Mirror, Budd & Eno added Daniel Lanois as producer, and Plateaux's piano & sound treatments blueprint into a masterpiece. The Pearl was very much cut from the same cloth, but also improved on the formula, and nudged it closer to pure ambient music.
Much of the joy of The Pearl is in the small details: the occasional environmental sounds in the mix, the closer blending of the piano and electronics, and the more pronounced production touches on Budd's simple melodies, for instance the echo delay on the sparse notes of Their Memories. A beautiful album that suits background listening and close attention equally well.
link
pw: sgtg

This and Apollo are the pinnacles of that strand of Eno's career.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, based on most of what's been publically said over the last 15 years or so, I'm apparently in the minority on this one. This is certainly OK, but I don't think it's even one-tenth as good as Plateaux. Granted, part of this may be a personal thing in that, as the years have gone by, I hold Budd in far greater regard than Eno, and I think Plateaux is slightly more Harold's, and this more Brian's. But if I was ranking all the ambient-ish Eno related releases, again, not that I dislike this, but it would come in pretty low on the list. (Brook's Hybrid and Roger's Voices from the year after both being far superior IMO, to name but two.)
ReplyDeleteOff topic, and I know you probably can't do anything about it, but Christ almighty, this captcha crap to post comments is annoying as hell.
I think you're on to something re: Plateaux. Budd's playing on that one always takes my breath away, and Eno is more subtle. Could it be that it's The Pearl that really belongs more in the 'Ambient' series, and Plateaux should be better recognised as Budd at his finest?
DeleteHaven't had the captcha issue raised before - I'll definitely have a look at the blog settings, to see if there's anything I can do.
For me, Budd's *absolute* finest moment, or the most "pure" one, has got to be The Serpent In Quicksilver. But Plateaux would probably be my second choice. And I reiterate, it's not that I don't The Pearl. In fact, when I listen to it, I usually end up liking it a little more than I thought I would, or had remembered doing. But that said - still not top tier for me, I'm afraid.
Deletedon't like*, pardon
DeleteThanks for this! I've been on something of an ambient/new age kick and this fits the bill! In a related note, how are you on Steve Roach's music? I've been listening to him a lot lately, too
ReplyDeleteI know (and love) the basics of Roach, mostly from other blogs: Structures, Dreamtime... must investigate further. Cheers for the reminder.
Delete...and would you believe it, came across a cheap copy of The Magnificent Void today. Excited to hear it, certainly based on online reviews that I've just been flicking through.
DeleteHaven't heard this one in years, but I remember it being a very good one. Thanks for the opportunity to listen again.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
ReplyDelete