More Morton, for those who enjoyed Rothko Chapel the other week. This collection pairs Ensemble Avantgarde's 1994 rendition of Feldman's 1960/1 chamber suite Durations I-V with one of his most striking late works for orchestra, Coptic Light (1986), performed here by the German Symphony Orchestra of Berlin. It was actually the latter that I originally got this CD for, after listening to a different version online and being captivated by the mysterious, flowing sounds of this 24-minute piece of music that sounded like it was emanating from the depths of an ocean, with distant glimmers of light piercing the murky depths. Feldman's inspiration for Coptic Light was actually the pattern of an ancient carpet, but its subaquatic qualities often get mentioned.
The Durations suite was completely new to me, and took a while to get in to, but I love it now. The performers (on various combinations of piano, harp, violin, cello, horn, tuba, vibraphone, celesta and flute) follow a score with no duration indications on the notes, leaving this up to the performers and always resulting in a unique performance. Durations sounds to me like music from another world with an alien conception of time - much like that other late Feldman work that I love, for piano and string quartet (link below) - and perhaps a heavier gravitational pull, especially on the four sections of Durations III, which do have overall tempo indications, mostly 'slow' and 'very slow'. Take time out of time to enjoy this album - it's a perfect wind-down.
link
Previously posted at SGTG: Rothko Chapel | Piano & String Quartet

Thanks for Durations suite, unknown for me but your description is so interesting that I am quite impatient to hear it. I have yet Coptic lights but conducted by michael Tilson Thomas, nice to compare both versions...
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, many thanks
Looks pretty fantastic Alan. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the share.These Feldman works are new to me and wonderful.
ReplyDelete