Monday, 4 January 2016

Florian Fricke - Die Erde Und Ich Sind Eins (1983)

As my favourite krautrock band and one of my favourite bands of all time, Popol Vuh will inevitably feature on this blog at some point.  Firstly, here's something that I found impossible to get hold of until I ended up buying a slightly questionable CDR copy via discogs - but it still sounds decent enough.

In a 1989 interview with Audion magazine, Florian Fricke described some of his other pastimes beside making Popol Vuh records, one of which was holding occasional music therapy singing groups that he called Körperraummusik (Body-Space Music). Somewhere between mantric chanting, overtone singing and just general resonant humming, one of these sessions was recorded at a Gestalt Therapy Congress in Munich in 1983 and formed the basis of this album.  Fricke considered these group experiences to have excellent therapeutic results that 'vibrated through the body walls, bones and flesh' - judge for yourself.

The final track, Song Of The Earth, would be redone for the subsequent Popol Vuh album Spirit Of Peace, to which this album makes a nice companion piece. Spirit Of Peace can be found at a blog I like called Opium Hum.

 The earth and I are one


5 comments:

  1. I'd resigned myself to never hearing this. And then stumbled upon your blog. God bless you.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, your blog is a collection of treasures, for example with the Florian Fricke or Popol Vuh opus. I'm now one of your followers. I've more difficulties with concet musics, such as Xenakis or Boulez stuff. I need some melodies and positive items in background :-). Regards and great Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacred. I have this LP and have made a decent transfer of it, if you want to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds awesome, feel free to share!

      Delete
    2. I am searching for any materials that came with the album which might detail his music therapy method. If anyone has this to share I would be very grateful!

      Delete