Saturday, 2 January 2016

Die Engel Des Herrn ‎– Die Engel Des Herrn (1992)





All of the late Klaus Dinger's catalogue holds a special place in my heart. By turns unique, visionary, groundbreaking, messy, scrappy, funny, angry, but all the product of a singular, idiosyncratic vision.

I'm kicking off this blog with this album for all of the above reasons, plus the fact that this tends to be the last Dinger album anyone gets to hear if at all, given its sheer scarcity - blog postings of it have come and gone over the years and links have been long-inactive by the time I've found them.  So I've been on the lookout for a CD of DEDH for ages (I already had Live As Hippie Punks, which is slightly more readily available and which I may post at some point), and got lucky last year.

This 1992 release was recorded in phases between '88 and '91.  The album's obligatory take on Dinger's magnum opus, Cha Cha 2000, crawls along in a raw, reverby incarnation with the guitars up front, and only has spare usage of the gorgeous choral Mellotron (I think) that envelops the title track and Tschüs, the latter being a fond farewell to Dinger's late father.  The shorter tracks are a mixed bunch - Sunlight is my personal favourite, SOS is a punkish rush, and Bitte Bitte is often slated as a schlagery comedy piece (it does work much better on the live album, where it's transposed into a minor key).  The CD version also adds a meandering 20-minute jam that is worth a listen.


Most of all I love the sunlight

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see this album start to get some of the recognition it deserves. I, too, love all things Dinger. I wrote a fairly long overview of DEDH for Head Heritage back in the day
    http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/2252/

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic blog pal...what a great turn-on is your first entry...well, i got here right on time...

    saludos...

    ReplyDelete