Friday, 12 August 2016

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops II (2003)

As explained in the previous post, I decided against posting all four volumes of The Disintegration Loops in favour of just my personal favourites.

Volume II contains two substantive loop pieces, both with a distinct character.  Dlp 2.2 (2.1 was a brief taster on Volume I) lets the tape loop, possibly the most aged and decaying of the set, flake away into staccato, echoing nothingness over 32 minutes.  The fact that it's also one of the most musically spartan of the loops puts the emphasis squarely on the effects of the tape disintegration - no bad thing, as it demonstrates the project's raison d'etre more effectively than any other.  By contrast, Dlp 3 has a much more lush, stately and mournful sound, washing over the listener in wave after wave of melancholy, then inevitably losing its identity a little bit at a time.  An achingly beautiful sound-world to get lost in, and my favourite Disintegration Loop after Dlp 6.

Volumes I & III are definitely worth seeking out - I've no plans to post them here, but all four volumes were remastered a couple of years ago; I've read that they all sound great in those new reissues.

The Disintegration Loops II

No comments:

Post a Comment