Friday, 19 August 2016

Astrud Gilberto - I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do (1969)

This is the 100th album I've posted, so time for something extra special.  Put up a few Brazilian albums about a month ago, including Jobim's magnificent Wave, one of my top 10 albums of all time - here's something I hold in almost the same esteem.  This album however doesn't have quite as strong a Brazilian stamp on it as the artist's previous releases.  By the time Astrud Gilberto got to this stage in her career, she wanted to expand her horizons beyond bossanova and ended up making this baroque pop/chamber pop masterpiece of lush, dusky melancholy - in Gilberto's words, "my fireplace album".

So why do I love this album so much?  It's just a pure and utter Goldilocks Zone of a singer a few years into her career, coming into a more confident vocal maturity, selecting a perfectly complementary set of songs and having a first-rate arranger on board (Al Gorgoni).  In just 28 minutes, I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do weaves an achingly romantic narrative that hangs together perfectly, sounding like an extended reminisce of a fleeting summer affair now being remembered only through photographs.  Late 60s adult pop perfection par excellence.

Though I'll never feel that way again, I still remember when

3 comments:

  1. Happy century!
    Thanks very much for your words and recommendations.
    Long life and happiness!

    (don't know this AG lp, so looking forward. ta.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jim!

      hope you enjoy the album.

      Delete