Superior Blue Note session from February 1960. I reckoned this would round out a week of otherwise avant-garde music quite nicely as it's just so much good clean fun: Hank Mobley, the "middleweight champion of the tenor saxophone" (jazz writer Leonard Feather) might not have reshaped postwar jazz as dramatically as Davis, Coltrane et al, but he could write a clutch of neat tunes and turn out a superb record that sounds fresh as a daisy when it's about to turn 60 years old.
Soul Station is bookended by two great covers, Irving Berlin's Remember and the Rainger/Robin movie song If I Should Lose You, with the four Mobley originals in between carrying the same breezy melodiousness and adding up to an album without a single weak spot. The more I listen to Soul Station (about three times a week on average whenever I dig it out, like this month), the more I appreciate Paul Chambers and Art Blakey as a superb rhythm section, Wyn Kelly as an underrated pianist, and every spirits-lifting line from Mobley. Just dig dis.
link
pw: sgtg

Alan, thanks for sharing this. Really enjoying it. Amazingly, this is the first time I've ever heard his music! Tony
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed this one. I'm new to jazz, so following in the same sort of style as this and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, what else would you recommend I listen to?
ReplyDeleteDefinitely Oliver Nelson's Blues & The Abstract Truth, that was my next step after KoB:
Deletehttp://slowgoesthegoose.blogspot.com/2016/11/oliver-nelson-blues-and-abstract-truth.html
Some other stuff you can find here: a really nice low-key Miles EP:
http://slowgoesthegoose.blogspot.com/2019/07/miles-davis-blue-moods-1955.html
All-star collection feat. Miles, Milt Jackson, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins:
http://slowgoesthegoose.blogspot.com/2016/06/miles-davis-bags-groove-1957-compi-rec.html
KoB pianist hitting his stride:
http://slowgoesthegoose.blogspot.com/2019/05/bill-evans-trio-everybody-digs-bill.html
Other essentials that shouldn't be too hard to find:
Cannonball Adderley feat. Miles Davis - Somethin' Else
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Wayne Shorter - Juju
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
etc etc etc... happy listening!