Monday, 6 May 2019

Ana-Maria Avram/Iancu Dumitrescu - Meteors & Pulsars, etc (1998)

More music of the spheres from the late Ana-Maria Avram, and her husband Iancu Dumitrescu: where the vast emptiness of space and time becomes illuminated by various re-imaginings of it as endless varieties of spectral sound.  The title piece of this collection is a computer music suite by Dumitrescu, divided into seven brief movements that sputter into life like newborn stars.

One of his great, ominous orchestral works is next, Profondis for clarinet, bass clarinet and the Hyperion Symphony Orchestra (1973, revised 1991), where the music slides forwards as if being sucked into a black hole.  The third work from Iancu is Origo (1998), a solo cello epic that sounds pretty much how Xenakis' Nomos Alpha would sound in the hands of the composer who wrote Medium for double bass.

Ana-Maria Avram then fills out the collection in the same pattern of orchestral work, cello work.  Chaosmos for two orchestras (1998) is a fine blast of the organised chaos experience that she excelled at, and the constantly-shifting 16-minute piece is riveting to sit through.  The Hyperion Orchestra's cellist Andrei Kivu (who also performed Origo) is back for the album closer Axe (1998), the frenetic sound given extra punch by backup from percussionist Thierry Miroglio.

link
pw: sgtg

Previously posted on SGTG:
ED.MN.1001 - Medium/Cogito
ED.MN.1002 - Au Dela De Movemur
ED.MN.1003 - Pierres Sacreés
ED.MN.1004 - Musique de Paroles
ED.MM.1006 - A Priori
ED.MN.1008 - Five Pieces
ED.MN.1009 - Ouranos II 
ED.MN.1011 - Musique Action '98
ED.MN.1014 - Orbit of Eternal Grace
ED.MN.1018 - Remote Pulsar
ED.MN.1019 - In Tokyo

10 comments:

  1. Dear Alan I have to confess (I hate musical confessions! Oh to admit that I have indeed been living under a generous rock ;)
    that this release AND every single "previously posted" album by these composers are new to me...the name Dumitrescu sounds familiar but that's it. So - an astronomical sized thank you is in order, I am looking forward to immersing myself in this discography!!

    As active as you are on this blog I hate to make a request but there's a Thomas Adès disc that I lost a few years ago
    and my itunes import was lost as well due to hdd failure - So, is there any chance you have the Thomas Adès disc on EMI that features "Tevot", "Three Studies from Couperin", the Violin Concerto & Dances from "Powder her Face"?

    I simply cannot afford to buy it again now :( Thank you either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afraid I don't have it, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you kind sir

      Delete
  2. Thank you for another Avram / Dumitrescu. Every one that I didn't have (most of them) I at least admired, and two or three of them I favorited for a while [sorry, bad language, a vestige of my stroke...] Anyway, when I see another one on SGtG, I'm happy. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still got a few more, must get them in the schedule. Cheera

      Delete
    2. Dear Scraps - I hope you see this. This is a certain blogger from the recent past (well over 2 years I've been m.i.a. and no activity on my blog) and if possible I'd like you contact/reconnect with you. I have thought of starting up the blog again, but not sure...I have been through a long & personal hell and thus I dropped off the face of the earth so to speak. Do write back & let me know how to contact you!

      (Alan apologies for a self-serving, off-topic msg!)

      Delete
    3. No trouble at all, hope it helps you guys reconnect.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Scraps hello, (it's Tz again) I'm going to email you now so you have my email - then we can catch up properly during the week. -And Alan thanks again, friend!

      Tz

      Delete
  3. Please do! I love this stuff. So thanks for all you've already posted.

    ReplyDelete