R.I.P. Harold Budd, 24 May 1936 - 8 December 2020
Harold Budd, ambient/modern classical musician and composer, has died at the age of 84 after decades of creating some of the world's most sublime music.
Posts at SGTG:
And here's another I never got around to posting before: The Serpent In Quicksilver/Abandoned Cities. Usual password, sgtg. It's a compilation of a typically gorgeous, languid EP and an LP of two darker ambient ventures. Thanks Harold for so much wonderful music.

That's a real shame. The Serpent In Quicksilver/Abandoned Cities was my introduction to his music and, although some of his output passed me by, much of it has really stayed with me and will continue to do so. I read an article on him some years ago in which he said that he never practised, nor even had a musical instrument in his home, something that would seem completely bizarre to pretty much any other musician. I don't know how true that was but, if so, it was just one more indicator of what a singular talent he was.
ReplyDeleteLike Pete above, I was kind of baffled by Harold's pronouncements on music - never quite sure if he was being entirely honest or if he did have this odd relationship with his music. He had retired from music at least twice as far as I recall, and recorded IMHO his best album post one of those retirements ('Perhaps'). I still find myself playing Plateaux of Mirror at least once a month, having bought it the week it came out, which I guess says something. I saw him perform live a few years back in a duo with Werner Dafeldecker (supporting the Necks) and it was one of the oddest live sets I've ever seen - two blokes with entirely different aesthetics doing their own thing on stage with absolutely no regard or awareness for each other. Which in a way, seems fitting - despite the simplicity and for want of a better word, obviousness of his playing, he remained a singular, always recognisable figure. RIP Harold, and thanks for the music.
ReplyDeleteSad to hear of his passing. Thanks for sharing the information and his music
ReplyDeleteSad to hear of his passing, RIP Budd
ReplyDeleteIt's a catalog full of greatness - but Serpent is his finest, truest moment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting about the dearly wonderful and sadly departed Harold Budd. His work shall remain eternal. Damn you, COVID-19. I wanted to see him so badly at the Big Ears Festival but all the tickets were sold out. It is my hope that concert was recorded and will be released at some point in the future. The Pearl is exquisite and one of my favorite albums.
ReplyDeleteRIP, I agree he made some sublime music.
ReplyDeleteRIP Harold.
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to his last Soundtrack:
http://atharori.net/-81198AQVZ/1rJKS?rndad=2963184129-1607585569
What a loss...
ReplyDelete