Sunny (even though it was recorded just before Christmas) and swinging single-day session from a trio of absolute masters of their craft, effortlessly turning in five Metheny originals, three jazz standards and an Ornette Coleman cover. It's a well-sequenced hour of uptempo material and some gorgeous ballads, in classic guitar trio format until the album closer - which oddly sounds like it's jumped in from a Pat Metheny Group record, but it's still a great tune so it doesn't jar with the rest of the material.
Pat's on fine form, Dave Holland rock solid and nimble, and the legend that is Roy Haynes.... just.... wow. Sometimes I feel like this album should've been credited to Haynes first followed by the others, he's just so on point with every single beat and trademark cymbal/hi-hat flourish. So well recorded, too - if a lover of jazz drumming was ever to tap me for a recommendation, they'd be pointed straight in the direction of this album.
link
pw: sgtg
Pat Metheny at SGTG:
Watercolors
New Chautauqua
American Garage
As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Offramp
First Circle
Song X
The Way Up
and featuring Pat:
Dreams So Real
Shadows And Light
The Sound Of Summer Running

Another home-run from SGTG, Mr Burns. This record has been on my mind, on and off, for months now. I bought the cassette when first released, as a teenager. Remember struggling to enjoy...the majority of it, having hoped for another "Still Life (Talking)" or whatever. Now, in middle-age I can't get enough of Haynes and Holland's inexorable swing, or PM's own cascading melodies. Chapeau to them for the music, and to you for the sharing. Seen this btw? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSdcgb_aJ5Y
ReplyDeleteThanks! That's one hell of a performance there. Haynes is as badass as I'd expected, but Holland's absolutely ferocious when he gets his solo. Pat like greased lightning too. Oh for a DVD of the whole show...
DeleteExcellent choice. Ever since I bought this on cassette when it first came out, this has been one of my favorite jazz albums. In fact I often think about compiling a list of Top 10 jazz albums that people wouldn't normally think to put on a Top 10 list, and this is definitely on that list.
ReplyDelete