Although I've heard plenty other Santana tracks that I like over the years, this is the only album of theirs that I've ever owned - it just ticks so many boxes. Latin-jazz-funk-rock-fusion with a clear influence of Silent Way-era Miles Davis, an admitted influence of Lonnie Liston Smith's Astral Travelling on the opening track, and a cover of a Jobim tune. What's not to like?
Caravanserai sounds best in full-length immersion on headphones, not least on the first side where all the tracks flow perfectly without a break. The second half of the album starts as the first did, in experimental ambient mode and this time with a great percussion break, then there's a version of Jobim's Stone Flower with added lyrics. The rest of the album is just red hot grooves all the way to the end.
link
pw: sgtg

Couldn't agree more! One of the first (and finest) records I bought in my mid teens. I plucked up the courage to enter the local dark record dive, probaly grabbed the first thing I saw, lucky it was this! Never found another Santana albums that hit the spot like this one does. Love that bit (not sure which track) where the wigged out flute solo descends into screaming. Quality.
ReplyDelete...and it has a cool cover picture. I seem to recall the first-issue LP cover had kind of a marbled surface. It invited you into a new world. -Teamster
ReplyDelete"this is the only album of theirs that I've ever owned
ReplyDeleteNo Lotus? As the kids say - bruh....
Must check that one out - Welcome & Borboletta too.
Deletewelocme is worth checking out too.
ReplyDeletebut this one is tops in my book.
robert
The trilogy with Welcome, Caravanserai and Borboletta must rank as being some of the best lp's of the seventies (and Lotus as the live twin of those). I remember coming into my local hi-fi shop hearing Caravanserai blasting out in quadrophonic bliss. A fantastic experience.
ReplyDelete