Great overview of some of Paul Dresher's earliest works, as compiled by Lovely Music. Like Dark Blue Circumstance and Casa Vecchia, Dresher's take on Fripp/Pinhas/Gottsching guitartronics is represented, this time by Liquid And Stellar Music. This stunning 20-minute track, which opens proceedings here, evolves from ambient drift to echo-delay tour de force, and was originally released on Dresher's debut cassette release in 1981.
Next up is Destiny, a brief dance commission from 1983. Dresher on guitar is accompanied by a drummer, and it's a very nice polyrhythmic oddity that sounds closer to Talking Heads or even the then-new King Crimson sound than anything else I've heard Dresher do so far. Water Dreams, an electroacoustic/radiophonic piece from 1985 follows, constructed from rain sounds and other field recordings in a similar way to Other Fire from the Casa Vecchia disc. Lastly, This Same Temple is one of Dresher's first ever compositions from 1977, a piano duet that he admits had a significant Steve Reich influence. A different version of it originally appeared on the aforementioned cassette release in 1981.
link
pw: sgtg

Thank you
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteOh how nice I was hoping there'd be more Dresher coming - every since you first posted that New Albion disc Dark Blue Circumstance my interest has been entirely peaked. If my finances were what they used to be, which was never great, already I would have bought everything in his discography - this is sad state for a serious collector indeed. So an extra big thank you is in order, Alan. -Btw I still intend to get as much of my Lou Harrison collection to you, I haven't forgotten.... trying to get through much not-so-controlled-chaos regrettably.
ReplyDeleteKind regards
Thanks, no worries!
Delete