Gorgeous, crystalline autumnal chimes from Double Image, in their third album. By this time, the group that had formed in the 70s as a quartet with bass and drums (and recorded a rare, unreissued ECM LP in 1979) had slimmed down to just vibraphonist David Friedman and marimba player David Samuels. The duo swap their instruments round on the track Dusk here, but otherwise stick to their stations for a wonderful record, that appropriately came out on Celestial Harmonies.
The pure sound of just the core instruments makes for a beautifully meditative album experience, only really raising the tempo on the opening title track and on Ki. Everything interlocks with effortless virutosity, but never sacrificing melody. Difficult to pick a favourite, but if I had to would be the late highlight Desert Rounds. The eerie percussion added to Woodbell also makes it a memorable album closer.
link
pw: sgtg
Previously posted on SGTG: Skylight, feat. David Samuels

Oh did you do an especially good thing here.
ReplyDeleteSo I'm reading this, and I'm thinking, "Hmm - are you sure about the ECM not being reissued?" Because I thought it had been recently.
Well, as it turns out (and I did not know this), it was in fact actually reissued digitally just this past summer. So that's great. But even better, it also reminded me that I'd heard about the JAPO Tom Van der Geld titles also being done like that - and hey presto, there they now sit on Amazon, in all their now non-crappy vinyl rip, shiny little MP3 glory. So (many) thanks to you, that's my next purchase sorted.
Awesome, good spot! I'd still prefer CDs tho...
DeleteThough I'm a non-physical media person now, I get that. But I think you also know as well as I do that that's just not gonna happen at this point with stuff like this.
DeleteMust admit I did get my hopes up again after the recent wave of Touchstones, plus it was only a few years back when there was a small batch of new-to-CD ones: Five Years Later, Contrasts, that Burton one with the manhole cover...
DeleteBut yeah, the time has likely been and gone now for Manfred to be considering any more CD reissues that aren't already out there. In a way, I just wish he'd been consistent/logical in that respect: if it was something like The Epidemics that had never had a CD reissue, it would be obvious (to anyone who's ever heard it) why he'd rather it was quietly forgotten. But to never have put out a CD of, e.g., John Clarke's Faces, is just a mystery to me.
Maybe it's time to stop fetishising CDs. If I'd been a bit older or younger, I guess I wouldn't have come of age with them...
More likely to be re-issued on vinyl than CD at this point.
ReplyDeleteWell, that's true too - perhaps I should just look on the bright side, that vinyl's in such rude health these days.
DeleteWell, I (sort of) apologize for going into real cornflake pisser mode here, but - 10-15 years from now (if not less), the post-mortem chin-scratching over why ANYBODY ever thought going back to vinyl was a good idea should be interesting. I'm kinda hoping I'm not around to see that.
DeleteBut even if you are into it for whatever reason - doing it for stuff like this is REALLY unfathomable. "Gee, I bought a music of very quiet music on vinyl and it sounds awful because of all the pops and surface noise." Well, who'da thought, huh?
Analog "warmth". GTFO already....
So, recently I have been listening to the vinyl records my Dad bought when he was in high school, and with a few exceptions, they sound great 60 years later. I have CDs from the 90's that won't play. Analog warmth is a myth, of course, but there are reasons vinyl is coming back.
Delete"Analog "warmth". GTFO already...." brilliant comment and observation on a backwards trend I want no part of i.e. vinyl unless of course the music was never released on any other medium.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful album. FYI, Friedman & Samuels also have a wonderful mostly-duet album that predates the Double Image records: Winter Love, April Joy (1975). If you (or anyone) needs it:
ReplyDeletehttps://www85.zippyshare.com/v/G8BWoWoA/file.html
Happy new year!
Thanks Nick! Never knew they had another release that dates back further.
DeleteMe neither, cheers Nick.
DeleteBtw April Joy is a P Metheny composition that officially was not recorded by the PMG until 1978 when the PMG white album debuted so its nice to hear a stripped down incarnation and on vibes no less!
ReplyDeleteThis is lovely. Thanks for making it accessible.
ReplyDelete