Friday, 1 February 2019

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void (1996)

It's hard to think of any review that could describe this album more succinctly than its three-word title does, but nevertheless, here's a few lines on Steve Roach's journey into vast emptiness from the mid-90s.  Best known for his 1980s masterpieces Structures From Silence and Dreamtime Return, this turn into a much more darker ambient deserves to be equally celebrated.

Whether The Magnificent Void evokes for you travel through the endless blackness of space (and a lot of it would make superior sci-fi soundtrack music), or philosophical contemplation of the void of unconscious non-existence (which seems to have been Roach's intent, given the quotation from acid-psychiatrist Stanislav Grof), it's a keeper.  70 minutes of well-arranged, ice cold synth sweeps, occasional eerie voices and shimmers of an unknowable light make The Magnificent Void a journey worth taking multiple times.

link
pw: sgtg

8 comments:

  1. Well-chosen share for this frozen month, although it works equally as well in desert heat! I've listened to this CD quite a few times years ago (along with several of his other recordings) while under the influence... and while it lists 70 minutes playing time, it was/is actually closer to three or four lifetimes.

    Tony ^v^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously underrated Steve Roach album, my favorite. Buy it while you still can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend once that worked at the label that released this gem. Steve Roach showed up and presented a full length demo to try and catch the ear of Stephen Hill. He got to hear this album prior to its official release and claimed it sounded completely different! Wish I had a copy to have hear it. I think my friend had a copy somewhere in his library of the demo release alas he is no longer with the living.....This music will always have a long mourning vibe to it something deeper than our physical realms can attest to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, wonder if that early version will surface anywhere else... things like that fascinate me.

      Delete
    2. All I know is he HAD a version of it and I am sure all his personal belongings where given away or sold. I am wondering if someone on the net would have a copy but I seriously doubt it. I am pretty Mr. Roach keeps a tight lid on his tunes!

      Delete
  5. Thanks awfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete