This'll do nicely as a belated Halloween post. I did get hold of this album on Halloween last week - walked in to my favourite Oxfam Music shop, and it was playing over the speakers. Initially wondered if this was Tangerine Dream circa Atem, or something... no, the tech's not vintage enough... eventually, I just walked up the counter and asked to buy it.
So here it is - over an hour of first class dark ambient from California ambient master Robert Rich and Welsh industrialist Brian 'Lustmord' Williams, inspired by Tarkovsky as per the album title. I've never actually seen that film - any good? This album is phenomenal though, I keep hearing Coil-esque bits, even eerie resemblances to In The Shadow Of The Sun.
link
pw: sgtg

it is one of the greatest films ever made, period. Required Viewing IMHO.
ReplyDeleteIt's required viewing for film school students, absolutely. Be forewarned that this film will try your patience for long, torpor-inducing static scenes. Solaris is an action film compared to Stalker. The Artemyev soundtrack is essential and just as fun to listen to as this Lustmord album.
ReplyDeleteBetter than any of this stuff: "Roadside Picnic" by the Brothers Strugatsky -- the novel upon which all of this is based. Wayyyyy ahead of its time.
I agree, the film is classic Tarkovsky, but recently I read the book and was totally gripped. Also, this one of my favourite ambient albums of all time - here's to Oxfam for introducing you to the sinister beauty! So glad you're carrying on with your blog too, it's a highlight if my week checking it and discovering so much wonderful music. Thankyou!
DeleteHi Alan!
ReplyDeleteAny chance to re-up Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour (1976)?
Thank you!
Thanks folks, must look out for Stalker.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid the Brand X album was the one that triggered the Mega suspension, so I don't want to take the risk re-upping it. I'm sure it's out there somewhere else. Good album.
Thank you Alan for your advice!
DeleteYep it's a dangerous situation to post it again...