Monday, 30 July 2018

Steve Hillage - Green (1978)

In early 1977, Steve & Miquette had two albums planned: one was to be The Red Album, the other The Green Album.  The former became Motivation Radio, from last Friday's post, but the latter kept to the original theme in its final title.  Whether it was the original intention or a later evolution, the distinction is clear - where Motivation Radio was rockier and more song-based, with only one instrumental, Green is over 50% instrumental, and points the way forward to Hillage & Giraudy's future direction.

Nick Mason was an apt choice for producer, as you can definitely draw more obvious parallels between Green and the classic Floyd sound.  Again, though, the lyrics are much more upbeat than Roger Waters' glass-half-empty world, and although very much of their time are accessible and heartfelt rather than just stoned ramblings (which I think is where I struggle with Gong, only really warming to them when Pierre Moerlen takes over.  But anyway, back to Hillage and Green.)

As mentioned above, with the exception of Unidentified Flying Being, which feels like more of a Motivation Radio track, this album is much spacier and atmospheric.  Most of the tracks flow into each other, and UFB segues into a stunning instrumental suite that will only be broken by one more minute of singing for the rest of the album.  Miquette and Steve really come into their own here as masters of ambient sequencing and other synth wonders, and this is also uniquely the album where Hillage favours guitar synth over regular guitar, further broadening the electronic palette.  Ending with a reworked Gong theme, Green really is space rock par excellence, and certainly my most enduring favourite in its genre.

link

3 comments:

  1. I cannot disagree with you on the topic of lyrics Water vs Hillage. Hillage is a superbly creative and articulate guitarist but vocals and esp. lyrics are his achilles heel(goofy and most nonsensical new age babble). Fish Rising and Rainbow Dome music although artistically worlds apart are still favorites. Green I have not heard before so I appreciate you sharing this as I will dip thine ears into the Green pools of Lake Hillage this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have I never heard of his fellow before? I've only listened to a couple of songs, but it has blown me away. Thanks. What a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X4r_2f2JSUgQ3W9f62uqOrPAMgGrZa3m

    pw: sgtg

    ReplyDelete