Monday, 7 August 2017

Yoko Ono - Fly (1971; new reissue 2017)

Ideal time to do a post of this classic double-album - there's a new reissue doing the rounds, and label Secretly Canadian seem to have done a great job.  Sounds good, has a couple of bonus tracks I hadn't heard before so have kept them in the download (the eerie electronics of The Path are definitely worth hearing) and the CDs come in a hard-card vinyl gatefold replica.  Worth buying, for sure, along with the others that have been reissued.

If this is your first encounter with (arguably) Yoko Ono's greatest album, though, you're in for a real treat.  One album's worth of raw, propulsive avant-rock which at its greatest (the 17 minutes of Mind Train) sounds like a feminine version of Can's Halleluwah, then a side's worth of clattering, echoing collaborations with another Fluxus artist Joe Jones and his 'percussion machines', then rounding off with the 22-minute title track.  The latter might be the most spartan and difficult to love - it's mostly solo voice, until some reversed slide guitar towards the end makes things a bit more interesting, but it's still an utterly unique voice that I could listen to all day.

Disc 1 mega / Disc 1 zippy
Disc 2 mega / Disc 2 zippy

7 comments:

  1. Don't me wrong, I love Can very, very, very much - but in my opinion, "Mind Train" just about stomps the crap out of almost everything by them from the same era. Nor would it surprise me if they (or they who are left now) would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, here's one you don't see much in blogland. I'd never made the Can/Mind Train connection, but I can certainly hear it. This album's certainly up there with YO/POB and the Unfinished Music albums. I love her and her work, both audio and visual. The more people hate her, the louder I turn up the player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best Beatles and /or beatles related album of all time and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondered how the comments would go for this one... have to say I agree with you all so far, wholeheartedly! JZ, I did actually have a line in the writeup that was going to say 'these 90 minutes mean more to me than the entire Beatles catalogue', but snipped it in case I ruffled any feathers. Safe to say though that we all seem to be like minds here. Much nicer to hear Lennon chugging away in the background on Mind Train rather than pontificating on having no posessions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. I had not realized that Big Star's holocaust had roots in Ono's work

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been years since I last heard this [dead turntable and all] that I don't recall much about it. But I was never disappointed with her work. Many thanks.

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's the first time an album has ever accurately reviewed itself (track 7)!!!

    ReplyDelete