Monday, 9 January 2017

Van Morrison - Saint Dominic's Preview (1972)

With my trans-Irish Sea parentage, Van Morrison was always going to be part of the musical staple diet growing up - and this album remains a favourite.  Recorded in late '71/early '72 at the height of Morrison's California period, Saint Dominic's Preview is perfectly balanced between short, zippy soul/blues classics (straight off the blocks with the breathless acapella euphoria of Jackie Wilson Said) and two 10 minute+ epics.

Of the latter, Almost Independence Day drifts in a stream of Krause-synth consciousness and two chord 12-string guitar, giving it a striking resemblance to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here title track from three years later.  But the  definite highlight of this great record is Listen To The Lion - for me, it's simply one of the greatest, most unreserved and fearless vocal performances Morrison ever accomplished.  Gives me chills every time once he really lets rip in the middle section, before things calm down again.

And all my love comes tumbling down

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this, I'll be honest and say that during my 40+ yrs seriously listening to music I'd tried more than a few times to "get" Van but it never happened. Thanks too you I've finally made the connection, what a truly wonderful album

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice one, yep a lot of VM albums are an acquired taste, and don't immediately invite you in- this one gets the balance just perfect I reckon.

      Delete
  2. Too bad, seems like it has been removed already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, had that with a couple of other posts where the link got zapped within a matter of days. It's possible that larger record companies have folk on the lookout for album names on filesharing sites - or am I just being paranoid? If that is the case, let's see if they can detect my CLEVER ABBREVIATION on the new link, ha ha.

      Delete