Monday, 8 February 2016

Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (1967)

Posting this as a postscript to the previous post.  I've tried on many Zappa albums for size over the years, and this remains the one that fits best - most likely due to its proximity to the kind of sounds I like the most.

FZ once posed the question 'Does Humour Belong In Music?' in an album title, and I think the problem I have with so many of his records is that much of the humour has dated so badly; Filmore East 1971 is instrumentally solid, but other than that it's a bit like experiencing a 1971 issue of Mad magazine, or National Lampoon sketch.  Lumpy Gravy suffers from this to a slight extent, but has enough of a 'pigs and ponies'-centric surrealist bent to make it more timeless and durable, and flits around enough musically to keep you engaged.

I HEAR YOU'VE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH PIGS AND PONIES

No comments:

Post a Comment